Thursday, May 14, 2009

Weather Report

I don't listen to as much fusion as I used to, but I still love Weather Report. They are one of relatively few bands from fusion's heyday that have stood the test of time, in my humble opinion.

One of their albums that tends to get neglected is their eponymous record from 1982, pictured here. (Not to be confused with their very first record, also called Weather Report...I haven't actually heard that one so I can't comment on it.) I love this disc. If the only thing on it was the opening "Volcano for Hire," frankly, that would be enough. That tune kills me every time...what a groove! Jaco's fuzz bass playing and the buildup near the end is energizing. But there is plenty more where that came from, like the dynamic, three-part "N.Y.C." or the cerebral funk of "Dara Factor Two." With the exception of the aforementioned "Volcano" a lot of these tunes take a while to build and develop so I guess they are not as immediately flashy and infectious as something like "Birdland" or "Teen Town," but I find this album a more satisfying listen than Heavy Weather*. Repeated listening is very rewarding and reveals layers of sound. In some ways this almost sounds like a prog rock record, and maybe that's why I like it. As I said, I don't think this album gets the praise it deserves. It is definitely a favorite of mine.

*Heavy Weather is fine, but I'm not sure why it's always recommended as their best album.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking about the first Weather Report album with Miroslav Vitos and Aierto Moriera. The beginning featured the acoustic piano playing harmonics and I wondered if anyone knows how this is done.

    ReplyDelete